Washougal School District Human Resources Director Marian Young has announced her retirement effective June 30, 2019. Young was hired by WSD July 1, 2013 and has spent six years with the district, wrapping up a 39-year career in education.

Young began her career as a math teacher at Ontario High School (Ontario, Oregon), where she worked for 15 years. She was then hired as assistant principal at Ontario Middle School for four years. After moving to Portland, she became the principal at Woodlawn Elementary School in the Portland Public School District, where she spent another four years.  She was then hired as Human Resources Director for the Parkrose School District, a position she held for seven years. After that, she spent three years as an independent educational consultant helping school districts implement teacher evaluation.  She also mentored new principals and taught coursework in educational administration before coming to Washougal.

As the district’s Human Resources Director, Young has spent time spearheading staff recruitment efforts, negotiating contracts with staff associations representing 400+ members, supporting principals in ensuring highly effective teachers in every classroom, and shepherding the recruitment and hiring process for administrators, including Superintendent Dr. Mary Templeton.

“I wanted to be an educator from the time I was six years old,” said Young. “I can’t imagine a more rewarding career. And as I leave, I’m happy to see the bright future of the Washougal School District.”  Young has seen many changes over her career, though she’s met them all with a combination of grace and perseverance, including a teacher strike in 2018 and a measles outbreak this year.

“Marian Young is one of the most effective school leaders I have ever worked with,” said Superintendent Dr. Mary Templeton.  “Marian has been an integral part of our success as a district by providing guidance, strength and wisdom for our team. We can always count on her to treat people well and keep us laughing with her amazing sense of humor.  Marian’s wealth of experience as a classroom teacher, building leader, and central office administrator have allowed her to play a key role in helping us see Washougal rising to be one of the top performing districts in the state.  We will miss her tremendously and wish her well on her next journey.”

Young said she loved the unique challenges found in each of her positions and that her time in Washougal has been the perfect way to conclude her career. “Getting to work alongside so many smart, creative and dedicated people has been wonderful,” she said. “My most humbling day was receiving all the lovely messages from our amazing staff when I announced my retirement to coworkers.”

In her retirement, Young says she plans to continue her lifelong love of learning and extend it into some new areas, particularly, world language, music and art.  “I also plan to spend lots of time with my family and friends!”