Gause Elementary School first graders in Marvina Bugajski class did not let school closure stop them from sharing their creativity and expressing what they learned in their annual book report assignment.  The class Book Party, first created by Bugajski several years ago, has become an anticipated tradition at Gause.

“This assignment is the first time for many of these students to read a chapter book,” explained Bugajski.  “The Book Party was a way to celebrate this accomplishment and to give students the chance to demonstrate what they learned and enjoyed about the book.”

Before the school closure, students had selected their chapter books and read them as a group. A favorite component of the book report has been for students to recreate a favorite part of the book in a diorama.  “This part of the project has always been done at home with their family, so we were delighted that it was able to carry on,” said Bugajski.

The twist, however, was instead of sharing their work at the Book Party, students submitted photos of their handywork.  The pride is evident in the smiles on the faces of each student.

Completing schoolwork from home is challenging for students, parents, and teachers.  “I think the biggest word that we all have had is “perseverance” during this distance learning,” said Bugajski.  “The kids and I have been working hard to continue new learning.”

While schools are closed, Bugajski is creating videos of herself teaching daily lessons.  “I have learned very quickly to become technology savvy to be able to access a variety of platforms such as Zoom to reach out to my students,” she said.

Students watch the lessons, do their work, and submit it for feedback. There are a variety of avenues available for them to submit work. “Some students video tape or photograph themselves and their work and email it to me,” said Bugajski. “Some students drop it off for the school bus to pick up on designated days, the office staff scans it and I and forwards it to me and then I provide feedback to the students. This is all to make sure we are following the social distancing guidelines.”

“When thinking about my students this school year I am reminded of the A.A. Milne quote, ‘Always remember you are BRAVER than you believe, STRONGER than you seem, SMARTER than you think, and LOVED more than you know,’” said Bugajski.  “I am so proud of my kids persevering in distance learning!”