Parents of Jemtegaard Middle School students were invited to join their student for a day of learning at the annual “Bring Your Parent to School Day” on Thursday, October 11, 2018.  More than 100 parents were able to take advantage of the opportunity shadow their student.

Parent watches student working on iPad with keyboard in classroom

“Teachers are holding classes as usual, so parents get to see firsthand what a day at middle school is like,” said Principal David Cooke.  “In past years parents have admitted how surprised they were to be so exhausted at the end of the day.  I think they come away with more appreciation for the rigor of classes and how hard their students are being expected to work.”

“I love it.  It’s a flashback,” said JMS parent, Adam Albaugh as he worked on a clay project in art class with 7th grade daughter Landey. “I like to see what they do each day.  And see their friends.”  Albaugh split his time between Landey, her twin sister Bella, and his younger daughter Lucy, a 6th grader.  “It is cool to see them in action.  I wouldn’t miss it!”

Parent watches student workingo n math problem in classroom

This was the second year that Brent Maxey attended with 7th grade son, Cooper.  “I like to see what they are doing each day,” he said.  “I want to be involved and supportive of his education.” Maxey is happy with the new JMS building and is glad to have it attached to Columbia River Gorge Elementary where his wife, Erika, teaches and where his two other children attend.  “We love having the kids at the same location,” he said.  “The whole family is here today!”

Parents of Canyon Creek Middle School are invited to attend school with their students the morning of Monday, October 29.

Bring Your Parent to School Day participants working on an assignment