School Nurse Services
School Nurse Corps Program
The District Nurses are a part of the School Nurse Corps Program facilitated by the Educational Service District 112.
School Nurse Corps Mission
The School Nurse Corps, in partnership with schools, families, and communities, will help students to achieve academic success by improving school health services and health outcomes.
What Does the School Nurse Do?
- Assess and provide for the critical needs of students in schools, i.e., emergency plans for students with life threatening medical conditions, medically fragile students, students with health concerns and/or requiring nursing treatments.
- Provide consultant services to school personnel regarding health issues such as communicable disease control.
- Assess the physical and emotional health of students as related to the educational process and within the scope of school nurse practice; initiate referrals for further diagnosis and treatment of the identified health needs and provide follow-up; communicate health concerns that may impact learning to appropriate staff with parent and/or student consent.
- Coordinate and implement health screenings mandated by law. Including referral and follow-up.
- Provide health counseling and crisis intervention to students; serve as an advocate for the health rights of students and as a professional liaison between the school, family, and health community.
- Delegate, train and supervise medication administration and nursing treatments as allowed by law. -Cooperate with administrators and other staff to identify school safety and environmental health needs.
- Assist district administration in writing and adopting school health policies.
Contact your school nurse when:
- You have concerns or questions about your child’s health or behavior
- You want information about health care services in the community
- You need to discuss healthy choices for your family
- You need dental care for your child
- Your child’s attendance starts to change
- Your child has a life-threatening or chronic medical condition
- Your child requires medication while at school
For additional information and forms in all languages, please visit the Washington State Department of Health Webpage for Immunizations