WASHOUGAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
2018-19 Position Opening
In-District Transfer Only
STUDENT SUPPORT ASSISTANT
Jemtegaard Middle School
4 hours p/day (9:00 am – 1:00 pm) Monday – Friday
(60 work days probation for new employees)
Rate of pay $15. 08 – $18.59
The job of Student Support Assistant is done for the purpose/s of assisting a certificated teacher in the supervision and instruction of individual and/or small groups of students; and providing instructional and clerical support to teacher/s and staff.
This job reports to Building Administrator
- Monitors individual and/or groups of students in a variety of settings for the purpose of enforcing school rules and procedures and/or providing a safe and positive learning environment.
- Performs record keeping and clerical functions (e.g. copying, decorate classroom, collect/distribute supplies etc.) for the purpose of supporting the teacher and/or providing necessary records/materials.
- Promotes good habits for the purpose of improving the quality of student outcome and encouraging student development.
- Records observations and incidents relating to specific students for the purpose of documentation and/or communicating information to appropriate personnel.
- Responds to inquiries from staff (e.g. administrators, psychologists, teachers, etc.) for the purpose of information.
- Assists in the development of behavior managements plans and monitors and maintains the plans with identified students.
- Enters discipline data into appropriate database into appropriate database and works with staff to identify trend areas in discipline.
- Facilitates conflict resolution meetings using Restorative Practice.
- Facilitates Social Development lessons with a teacher.
- Consults with students to problem solve issues that are a barrier to their success.
- Communicates behavior plan data with student, parents and teacher.
- Assists other personnel as may be required for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple, non-technical tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include; operating standard office equipment including using pertinent software applications; preparing and maintaining accurate records.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform algebra and/or geometry; read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed formats and/or present information to others; and understand complex multi-step written and oral instructions. Specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job includes: concepts of grammar and punctuation; direct instruction/reading instruction; stages of child development and learning styles; and age appropriate activities.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities; collate data; and use basic, job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing defined and similar processes; and operate equipment using defined methods. Ability is also required to work with a wide diversity of individuals; work with a variety of data; and utilize job-related equipment. In working with others, problem solving is required to identify issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data requires following prescribed guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited. Specific abilities required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; setting priorities; working as part of a team; and working with constant interruptions.
Responsibilities include: working under direct supervision using standardized procedures; providing information and/or advising others; and operating within a defined budget and/or financial guidelines. There is some opportunity to affect the Organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling; frequent stopping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally, the job requires 50% sitting, 25% walking and 25% standing. The job is performed under some hazardous conditions.
Experience Job related experience is desired. Education High School diploma with 2.5 GPA
(Must meet State requirements)
Required Testing Certificates & Licenses
Pre-employment Proficiency Test (if needed) Valid First Aid Certificate
Continuing Educ./Training Clearances
WA State Apprentice Program (Voluntary) WSP/FBI Background Clearance
Washington Sexual Misconduct Inquiry
POSTED: August 20, 2018
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED THROUGH: August 24, 2018
The Washougal School District does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employee(s) has been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights Coordinator: Marian Young, 4855 Evergreen Way, Washougal WA 98671, (360) 954-3050; Title IX Officer: Marian Young, 4855 Evergreen Way, Washougal WA 98671, (360) 954-3050; Section 504 Coordinator: Allison Blakely, 4855 Evergreen Way, Washougal WA 98671, (360) 954-3020.