October is National Principals Month, an opportunity to recognize school principals for their significant impact on the success and well-being of our nation’s students.  We honor our Washougal principals by highlighting specific projects or work going on in their school that they are proud of.

If you are looking for Washougal High School principal, Sheree Gomez- Clark, you’ll find her everywhere and anywhere around campus, thanks to her new mobile desk.

Gomez-Clark found, with so much additional work needing to be addressed due to COVID, that she spent much of her day in her office.  The last year and a half has also proven difficult in getting to know the students which left her feeling disconnected from them.  “I felt like the only time I was with them was at lunchtime, reminding them to keep social distance and wear their masks,” she explained.  “There were no authentic connections being made.”

So, after seeing the idea on Principal’s Principles Facebook group, she decided to take her principalship “on the road” with a mobile desk.  She now tackles her inbox and completes routine computer work around the halls of WHS rather than in her office.  A wheeled, waist-tall cart draped in a black cloth carries all the essentials of an office desk including laptop computer, phone, school radio, notebooks, pens and coffee cup.

“I love it,” she said “This has been fantastic! My rolling desk has helped me to spend minimal time in my office and have maximized my time getting to know students better.  It is important to me to be ‘present’ for my students and staff, and this is one small step for me to do that.”

According to Gomez-Clark, students have many great ideas and good things they want to share. But scheduling time and waiting to meet with her in her office, or sending an email wasn’t something they wanted to do. “This provides the opportunity for them to easily reach me and to have those moments where they get to have a voice,” she explained. “Their voice is very important, and it really matters.  This has really helped me to open the chain of communication with students.”

Gomez-Clark did not want her presence in the halls to project a sense of authority, so her desk is stocked with motivational stickers and cards with quotes to help lift spirits.  “The kids love them, and it breaks the ice for conversation,” she said.  “The goal is to know my students better. Even 20-30 seconds over time can really make a difference.  I have had so many positive conversations that I might have missed if I were in my office.”

There are also quick and purposeful connections with staff passing by too.  “It is great to have them stop on their way somewhere and have just that quick conversation or ask a question,” Gomez-Clark said. “It can save everyone’s time to write and respond to an email and the conversation is completed right here.”

Gomez-Clark is excited for her permanent rolling “Panther Desk” that will be coming soon.  Her staff plans to adorn it with a Panther theme and put some spirit around it.